Thursday, September 11, 2008

Door Number Three

Sometimes I start to feel anxious in new situations & wonder, “How did this start?” I wasn’t anxious about this place before.” It’s like, “And behind door number 3 is . . . Social Anxiety! Had you chosen door number 5, you COULD have gotten this fabulous vacation along with the added bonus of OCD!”

When this starts to happen, it’s easy to think, “Why me? It’ll never get better. Just as it gets easier in one arena, something else comes up”. But, this can be a good opportunity to work at the core question, “What can fear REALLY do to me?”

Can it give me a heart attack? Make me faint? Cause me to go crazy?

Of course, the rational answer is always no. But, until I know the answer 150% in my core and through hard earned experience, I’ll continue to have anxiety & get tricked into always trying to protect myself from something “bad” happening, whatever that is.

It’s nice to imagine Bob Barker asking me what door I’d like to choose in the future & I’ll say, “It doesn’t matter – they're all the same to me."

1 comment:

Lisa L. said...

I definitely know the feeling. Some days I could go commit myself and other days I feel like I can conquer (or have conquered) my anxiety and panic. Just have to hope that there are more of the second type of days.

ShareThis